Monday, February 6, 2017

Publisher - Utah Peoples and Cultures Brochure

Card Utah Peoples and Cultures
This is an example brochure I created with basic information about groups of people that have had an influence on the state of Utah. As a teacher, I would have students create similar brochures to demonstrate their knowledge on certain topics and to experience working in groups to complete a project.
Reflection:
Asking students to create brochures is a way to have them determine what the most important concepts or facts of a given topic are. It also allows students to easily share what they have learned with their classmates and collaborate in groups. I would like to use brochures as a group project in the future. In this example, I would have the students create brochures on each of the states. I would use the brochure that I created as an example of what I expect from them. After finishing the project, we would display the brochures in our classroom.
I was able to create my brochure very quickly and would expect that, after researching their states (or other topics) they would be able to create their own quickly as well. However, I know that projects can be stressful for me when I know there is a deadline. I imagine my students might feel the same way about this. A project like this may require a lot of one on one help as students are figuring out how to format a brochure and how to use computer programs to do it.
Standards:
UEN Core Standard
Grade 5, Social Studies, Standard 1
Students will understand how the exploration and colonization of North America transformed human history.
EdTech Standard
Standard 5
Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
ISTE Standard
Knowledge Constructor
I critically select, evaluate and synthesize digital resources into a collection that reflects my learning and builds my knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment