Monday, February 13, 2017

Prezi - Characteristics of Prose



Reflection:
I like the concept of Prezi - the layout encourages presentations to include minimal text and to get straight to the point. One thing I didn't like is how images interface with the program. Each section or "slide" has a circle within which your content should fit. This isn't explicitly stated, but it makes sense aesthetically. When using pictures, it is hard to get the image to not look out of place with the background. I wish the circles on each slide would automatically crop the image as you make it bigger so that the image cannot appear outside of the circle. There is a cropping tool within Prezi, but it is still limited to square images.
The image thing was really the only complaint I had about Prezi. I think it would be very easy for students to use to create short presentations. If I were teaching 4th grade literature, I would use this project as an example for group projects that I would have the students create. They would use this presentation as a guide for what I expect from them as they identify characteristics of other types of literature. As a class, we would take time to share and participate in presentations on the different types of literature that we are studying.
Standards:
UEN Standard
Grade 4 Reading: Literature Standard 5
Explain major differences between poems, drama, and prose, and refer to the structural elements of poems (e.g., verse, rhythm, meter) and drama (e.g., casts of characters, settings, descriptions, dialogue, stage directions) when writing or speaking about a text.
Ed Tech Standard
Standard 5
Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom.
ISTE Standard
Knowledge Constructor
I critically select, evaluate and synthesize digital resources into a collection that reflects my learning and builds my knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment